Thursday, May 26, 2016

Folding the Wave

Slowly cranking through the remaining Oscillators that I hadn't got going before. I am now into the Analog Oscillators as appose to the Digital Oscillators.  These are used to make more traditional Modular VCO sounds. I am always amazed that when I think "Oh I can add..." to the oscillator I find that Oliver has already got it in there! This is a case to point, I was thinking lets make a wavefolder like the Buchula 259 as a voice... While rummaging through the Folded Sinewave Oscillator FOLD I find that it is already here! The wavefolding transfer function that Oliver uses is a clever mixture of a modulated sinewave draped over a arctan transfer to achieve:


Which bears a close resemblance to:

From Jürgen Haible's Wavefolder A, described here. Jürgen typically went on to make Wavefolder B which is a fairly insane beast!

No comments: